Round 7: Hot Cross Buns

Go down

Round 7: Hot Cross Buns

Post by EastDulwich on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Well it's a bottom of the table (almost, but who counts KK as being in this tournament anymore) and TOA have got controversial winger Zillman back from the obviously anticipated injury predicted by everyone but Del Boy. It's a must win for TOA as their early form has turned into a poor showing versus some of the weaker sides in the comp, including losses against the Hams and Hipsters. Despite some ludicrous trade offers throughout the last few weeks, TOA have remained relatively loyal to its squad and have a mostly unchanged team from last week.

Look out for Cooper, arguably TOA's best player this year to rack up another few points Friday night but in reality there are a couple of guys on notice including Jared H-W who has had a piss poor season and Creagh being relatively quiet of late. Del Boy did well not selecting too many warriors players, a key strategy for Chunuk Bair in years past and although this may have been a good initial strategy as McFadden looks to turn things around, will squads with Warrior loyalty start winning games?

It's comes down to the forwards this week and without a few early points and a cam smith special with the boot, TOA are looking at some serious changes next week if they can't chalk up their first win of the Northern Hemisphere spring. Not much to say about the merkins with all their eggs placed in Sonny Bill's boxer shorts. If he performs, TOA have an uphill battle, if not it's TOA by 12.

Around the grounds:

LFB over the Zooms (yawn) It's like watching Grand Prix 2013 with Vettel. You might be good but god your boring
Pre baby Tractors take out the out of form Drags - I thought coaches were on notice there actionman?
Hipsters were lucky last week with a few doubles from the likes of Chambers but they have some momentum and will take out the Jaffs in this game of the week show down
Hams will roast the KK as the KK squad continue to fester. Bottom of the table and only 2 buys over the last two months Lui and Frizell (out) this doesn't speak well of the dynamic team of old when KK were a dominant force back in 2004.

EastDulwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 7: Hot Cross Buns

Post by Actionman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Top shit TOA - even if you are about to become the 2nd best franchise in East Dulwich.

Apart from Zillman being a winger, you've got a bit if insight there. Shame to all those guys who aren't posting here or even changing their squads - James is showing you up.

The Dragons team won't be stronger all year than this weekend. We have 24 fit players a goal kicker and a coach. We haven't had anything like that the first 6 weeks of the year.

With Utilities galore (Milford, Gidley, Stanley, Thomspon, Hiku and O'Neill all play 3 or more positions) a fit forward pack and a relentless supply of starting wingers - the Dragons are primed for points. I'll grant you my form to date has been rubbish - but now is the time to step up and take it to the in form Tractors.

Around the grounds:
The MMs are primed to break out and make a run- Billy Slater to give the former Bair CEO nightmares
The Hipsters to upset the Jaffas (even if they barely have a 3/4 line)
The Zooms to upset the LFBs - (surely they'll be no more bullshit Matai doubles this year! teach him to pass to his wingers)
I hope the Shams beat the KKs - it might actually shock Mu into some action (and no Robert Lui doesn't count as action.
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:45 pm

EastDulwich wrote:
Hipsters were lucky last week with a few doubles from the likes of Chambers

Er, you mean, one double to Chambers.

Also, without Cam Smith, the Hipsters could have fielded a one-man team of Sam Burgess and still drawn.

Hardly lucky.

I'm going to need it this week though. Did someone say Bone Collector whinge?

Three backs go down this week, with Uate, Chambers and Farrell all joining Tedesco, season-ended Edrick Lee, and just-fit-again Brett Stew on the sidelines. Shocking run.

Jaffas have no excuses.

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Actionman wrote:The Dragons team won't be stronger all year than this weekend. We have 24 fit players a goal kicker and a coach.

Really, that's as good as it gets?

Yes, you have a good backline. Perhaps a dangerous backline. It's so strong it runs 11 players deep. Pity that doesn't equate to more damaging try scoring stats. Your starting backline has scored 21 tries, and your bench 5, for a total of 26. My starters have scored 19, and my bench, including my lazy forward, have scored 6, for a total of 25. I call that even. I certainly don't call it dominating.

What I do call dominating though is my forward pack. Currently on a 7-4-3 for 39 AF points, and a HUGE 16-4-3 for -75 DF points, you need to grind it out if you want to beat the Trust Fund Boys in 2014. And what have you got? 6-3-4 (34) in AF, and 6-8-4 (-44) in DF. Not bad, but you better hope those "lethal" wingers of yours turn up, or you sir are going to be just another statistic.

I also like:
The White Flames
The Jaffs
The Merks
And I don't care (but probably the Hams)

Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh yeah, and don't tell your wives/partners/girlfriends/whatever-it-is-that-Wiremu-has, but little O'Brien is getting induced out of the giant Easter Egg that is Ronni's belly on Sunday.

If you don't see or hear from me for a while, it is because I hate you, and it's also because I'll be up to my elbows in dark black baby shit. Literally.

I also promise I won't name my child after a pretty boy league player...*looks at Sambo*...
Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Well good luck on one of the two herculean tasks this week.

If you had read my post earlier you might have understood that a) i agreed my form has been rubbish and b) all my players have been injured!

Taufua and Mullen and O'Neill have played 4 matches between them, no wonder their stats aren't too hot.

Your pack is better than mine, but I think in the long run - tries is gonna be what wins this league.

Oh did I mention I have the NRL's top scorer now - for £80k!
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:57 pm

You spent £80k? You should have spent some of that money on a keyboard that can do this: $.

I don't disagree with you though. The way NNRL works this year, stacking your bench with backrowers won't work. But, and it's a Raelene Castle sized butt, tryscorers are inconsistent by nature. A player who scores 3 tries this week, may well go the next 3 games with nothing (I'm looking at you GI). Finding week in - week out try scorers is tough work, and your squad is finding it hard enough to find week in - week out match fitness.

I think big DF scores will win this league. If your opposition is restricted to 16 or 17 points (current average against the Trackies), you don't need that many tries to get the 2 points.

Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:07 am

Richards is home sick for Pommie-land the deal could only go through if I paid pounds.

I think wingers are the new back rowers - them seem to do quite a bit of work under the new rules and hence are getting more and more dominant players as well. I'm not sure there are 10 killer back rowers (I mean real backrowers not Merrin, Gallen and Burgess who all basically play prop) in the whole comp anymore. But yeah wingers can be inconsistent, my hope is that the law of averages means I should be getting 5 tries a match, and when it all comes together then anything is possible.
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04 am

It might be Easter, but 4 out of 10 coaches getting involved? FFS.
Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricky Dartschool on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Do they have a real Easter in Japan Pedro? Or is it all sexy rabbit robots and vending machine dead jeebuses? Either way, now that you are the tallest person there everyone will be able to point and laugh at the big wide-eye after he gets destroyed this weekend as the Zoomorphs restart their own resurrection.
Ricky Dartschool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 pm

yeah, piss poor effort from me of late - blame the Warriors meltdown sapping all my time and will to live. Seriously, it's fucking ridiculous, every year I have to go through this shit. I don't know why I even bother learning these coaches names...

Anyway, will try lift my game - given I've just beaten the unbeatable LFBs. Selecting the Jafs is easy at the moment, there's only 17 fit players at any given time. Still be too good for the fucking Hipsters.
jaffa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Jorge boy!
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Turns out the hipsters don't need a backline, bench forwards scoring tries like it's going out of fashion

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 am

Fuck me. My forwards have slept through their games so far, and even Barba remembered where the try line is...
Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Ah for Fuck's sake. Feldt and Gallen late inclusions hurts like a bastard. But damn good for the bigger picture. I might actually have an alright backrow soon.
jaffa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:26 pm

I thought you would have the inside scoop there Sammy boy.

At least any goal kicking problems you might have had are sorted with Feldt's dominant kicking display.

Hipsters looking strong. I hope Shaun Johnson doesn't continue to cost you matches like last week Dartschool...
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 pm

My inside word takes a break over Easter.

By the way Danny, all the best tomorrow mate, best day of your life. You calling Beau Scott a pretty boy? Well, by your standards, any man with all his own teeth qualifies.

Bet you'll go with something Mexican like Jesus for Easter Sunday.
jaffa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:56 pm

jaffa wrote:By the way Danny, all the best tomorrow mate, best day of your life. You calling Beau Scott a pretty boy? Well, by your standards, any man with all his own teeth qualifies.

Bet you'll go with something Mexican like Jesus for Easter Sunday.

No, no, I meant this guy:

And apparently Jesus is already taken.  We did have someone tonight spend a good 10 minutes trying to convince us "Hero" was an awesome name though, for either a boy or girl...

Oh, and btw, FUCK YOU BEN. Richards will break his league, within 10 minutes, in tribute to my newborn child.
Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:12 pm

I hope Richards will break this league too.

Thanks Danny - I needed a help out with my for and against.
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Epic battle taking place between the Hipsters and Jaffas, one of the games of the season to date. Hipsters just keeping their noses in front but Jaffas with more players left in the tank, I feel this game isn't over yet

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricky Dartschool on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 am

Getting crowded at the top there as the blancas drop two in a row...
Ricky Dartschool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Not only that, but top 5 play bottom 5 next week.

Fyi Gents, we had a little girl, Penelope-Jean, yesterday morning. And before you say anything, I did not name her after PJ Marsh...
Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EastDulwich on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:06 pm

nice work mate, that's awesome news. Trust Mum and PJ are doing well!

EastDulwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EastDulwich on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Good to see a bit of distance between TOA and the bottom three. Now just need the momentum to continue... Benji anyone?
EastDulwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Congrats mate - little marshy marsh...

Apologies for souring your weekend, but my forwards responded to your challenge and got their D on - could have been worse if i'd played Cooper and Paulo.

Good luck with another Dragons discarded fullback Jas - I hope he breaks as quickly as Tedesco did.
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Tedesco, yeah I'm really gutted I bought him. Are you pleased you sold a guy who would be your second best tryscorer so far in the comp (and he's been injured for half of it)???

Luckily you bought Hipsters reject Kyle Stanley to boost your staggering depth at hooker.

Not to worry re Moylan - I clearly wanted him badly to drop a steep 7k over his base price. Still, it's nice having cover for Brett Stewart. Evidently he is never far away from doing something retarded.

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 am

I'm not that bothered about Tedesco -he's too injury prone and happy with my FB/wing options I'd take Mansour, Semi, Jorge, Richards, and Tupou over him. I'm far more distressed at not protecting Sam Burgess.

As for Kyle Stanley - shut up.
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Not protecting Sam Burgess, ooopsy.

In seven games, he has contributed a mind-blowing 66 points. To put that in perspective, the Merkins entire team have managed 122 points for this season.

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alcoholics Unanimous on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:25 pm

That right there is fucking impressive. That said, why are you not kicking everyone else's arse in this comp?
Alcoholics Unanimous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Joint leader is not a bad spot.

Also, half my backline is injured.

Also, Maloney has been quiet.

Also, the rest of my forwards are fucking rubbish.

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionman on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm

I thought there is no way Burgess will be $300k better value than Ben Barba... How wrong I was.
Actionman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdc on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 pm

66-8 in that head-to-head

jcdc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Congrats on your baby girl Danny, stoked for you mate